Thursday, May 13, 2010

Vignette: 59th and 5th

I was standing outside the entrance to the NRW train at 59th and 5th Ave. finishing my sandwich.  It was a turkey and avocado sandwich on five-grain bread with raisins.  I was standing next to a trashcan.  A woman walked up to the newspaper stand and got a copy of whatever free city paper was in there.  She was short and round and had a pixie haircut.  She looked strong.  She looked at the front page and said, loudly and to no one in particular, "Ha!"  I looked up, a little startled, and we caught each others' eyes.  She offered the paper.  The entire front page was a photo of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sandra Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan.  Above the photo, in big block lettering, were the words, "The Supremes."  "I think we should all call them that," I said.  "Yeah," she answered.  She spoke with a thick New York accent out of the movies.  "I just love that he's finding all these New Yorkers," she continued.  "And women," I added.  "Yeah!" she agreed, enthusiastically.  "Go Obama!  He's using all these strong New York women!"  "Yeah, it's great!" I answered, pretending I was a New Yorker, too.  "Have a good afternoon!" I called, as I descended into the subway station.  "You too!" she called after me, without looking up from her paper.

No comments: